Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ryan the Intern (Week 1)

so, I am doing an internship, and because I want to remember what I have done, I decided to chronicle some of my more awesome comings and goings from each week.

So, in week 1, I worked with the Mechanical shop at BYU campus.

Day 1: didn't seem promising for the beginning of my internship, I spent most of the morning working in the shop with the other students, filing down some pieces that would be used to help construct bathroom stalls... it was a pretty bad way to start off the internship.

Day 2: Fortunately today was better for my internship, I was able to see more of the things that the Mechanical Shop does. We worked in the Clark Building putting in a new HVAC system (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning) in the Kennedy International Studies entry lobby, we got up the section of ducting that connected into the rest of the building's system. More to come on this project later.

Day 3: Today I got to spend the morning with the plumbers, who are also part of the mechanical shop. We unclogged a sink in the girl's bathroom of the McDonald building (the one on campus, south of the MARB). After that, I went back to the Clark bldg. where we put up the center piece of the HVAC system.

Day 4: Thursday, we put the insulation on the system to keep it from having any problems, nothing else too special.

Day 5: The last day of my first week! I spent the day with the plumbers again, this time we were working on a retro-fit for the Fletcher building. I got to hang some pipe, use a hammer drill, and drive a BYU truck! (it was awesome!) The other cool thing I was able to do was work in the MTC testing some valves... which was fun to go back after so long.
We took a break at the CONE and I was able to see Whitney! I hadn't seen her in a while... it was fun!

So, my first week was not too bad! I learned a lot and was able to have some cool experiences! (only 7 more weeks to go!)

1 comment: